Ice cream sandwiches are a must-have on hot summer days! You can devour these knowing that they are actually fueling your body with healthy fats and superfoods. And that’s the best kind of treat, right?! The cookies for these sandwiches are Rickaroons! I used the Mint To Be ones because I love chocolate-mint, but you can use whichever flavor of Rickaroons you like!
The ice cream for these sandwiches is made with avocados. Yup, you heard me right. Ice cream made with avocado!!!! Now, you’re probably thinking, “Wow, this is really the epitome of caveman desserts.” Ha! Well you’re right, it is. And for a good reason, might I add. This is seriously the creamiest ice cream I’ve ever had. You don’t need an ice cream maker to make it. The best part? The ice cream doesn’t melt! Instead, when it warms up, it turns into a fluffy mousse. I’m really in love with it, and I know you will be too. Enjoy!
Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 10-12 Rickaroons (or however many you have on hand; you can use less Rickaroons and have leftover ice cream, if you prefer)***
- 2 large avocados (or 3 small ones)
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 6 Tbs maple syrup or honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pulse the avocados in your food processor until there are few chunks left. Pulse in the cacao powder, syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Keep blending until the mixture is completely fluffy and smooth. Scoop the mixture into an airtight glass container and freeze overnight. Before assembling your sandwiches, you may need the ice cream to sit out at room temperature for a few minutes, to soften.
- Cut your Rickaroons in half, lengthwise. To assemble each one, place one ‘Roon half on a plate, place a scoop of ice cream on top, then place the other ‘Roon half on top of that. Slightly flatten the sandwich down with your hand. Repeat with other ‘Roons. Serve and enjoy!
- ***Don't have Rickaroons on hand? No problem! You can use any cookies from my site! Link below 🙂
Goodies Against The Grain http://goodiesagainstthegrain.com/