I have been holding onto this recipe for a while because it is sheer perfection, and I wanted to release it at just the right time. But I couldn’t hold onto it anymore, for it’s the best-kept secret! The frosting is the fluffiest, richest, most delicious thing you’ll ever have. I’m not even a frosting person, but I eat this frosting by the spoonful. No joke.
Seriously, these are the best chocolate cupcakes you’ll ever have. Enjoy 😉
Fuffy Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Paleo, dairy-free, sugar-free + Keto option
- 8 ounces chopped dark chocolate
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter or sustainable palm shortening
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup or Lakanto monk fruit syrup
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch/powder
- 1 Tbs coconut flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder (if you're strict paleo, make sure it's grain-free)
- 2 cups sustainable palm shortening, at room temp
- 1 cup cacao powder, sifted
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or Lakanto monk fruit syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust your rack to its middle position. Line a cupcake tin with parchment baking cups.
- Place the chocolate and butter in the bowl of a double boiler. Melt, stirring occasionally, then set aside to cool (the mixture needs to cool for at least 10 minutes before adding the egg mixture below).
- Place the maple syrup and eggs in the bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk for 5-6 minutes until pale yellow and billowy, then whisk in the coconut milk.
- Slowly whisk in cooled chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Sift almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot, cocoa powder, coffee powder, baking soda and baking powder over the egg mixture and gently fold to incorporate.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake tin, filling each up nearly to the top. (You may have a bit of leftover batter, which you can bake later).
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for 20 minutes, then make the frosting.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the palm shortening until it’s fluffy. Slowly whip in the cacao powder, then add the maple syrup and blend.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
Goodies Against The Grain http://goodiesagainstthegrain.com/