Usually, I’m not a huge fan of cupcakes because of their huge amounts of sugar and overly sweet frosting, but these are different. They are grain free and moist with a lemon-y kick, and the frosting is just whipped cream with strawberries and naturally colored with beets. These are not filled with tons of sweetness, but they have just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. And they’re incredibly delicious!
Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes
Grain-free and moist, with a lemon-y kick!
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbs coconut palm sugar (Trader Joe's carries this)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbs coconut oil, melted, plus a little bit more for greasing
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup organic strawberries, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbs beet, diced
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey (optional, I didn't use it)
- In a small bowl, mix together the flours, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the eggs, zest, coconut oil, vanilla and milk, until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet, and stir until they're all combined.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and dab a little bit of coconut oil on the bottom of each one, to ensure the muffins don't stick.
- Scoop batter into the liners, filling each almost all the way to the top. The batter should fill 6 liners.
- Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- When they are done, remove the muffin tin from the oven and let them cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting.
- With your high speed blender on its lowest setting, gently blend together the cream, strawberries, beet, and sweetener until there are no lumps. DO NOT OVER-BLEND! (Over-blending will make the cream too stiff.)
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer,(or a regular bowl, if you'll be using a hand mixer)
- and whisk on high until stiff peak forms. Do not over-whisk!
- Frost the cupcakes, garnish with chopped strawberries (optional), and serve!
- Enjoy the deliciousness!
Goodies Against The Grain http://goodiesagainstthegrain.com/