Keto Crusty Sandwich Bread
A low-carb/Keto bread recipe free of grains, dairy, and sugar. From Leanne Vogel's new book "The Keto Diet."
- ½ cup psylluim husks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp finely ground gray sea salt
- ¾ unsweetened smooth almond butter (made with blanched almonds)
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup infused refined olive oil (use a butter-infused olive oil if you’re using this bread for sweet things like French toast)
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup unflavored gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350° and line an 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving the ends draped over the sides for easy lifting.
- In a small bowl, stir together the psyllium husks, baking powder, and salt until incorporated.
- Place the almond butter, eggs, and oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment (or in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer) and mix until combined. Remove the bowl from the stand and set aside.
- Place the water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Do not stir. After 5 minutes, turn the burner on to medium and whisk until the gelatin has dissolved and the mixture resembles goo. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth, then add it to the almond butter mixture and mix by hand with a spatula until smooth.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a spatula until incorporated. The dough will be very sticky.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the dough into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top as best you can. Bake for one hour, or until the top begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Using the overhanging parchment paper, immediately remove the loaf from the pan and place it on a cooling rack. Remove the parchment paper.
- Allow the loaf to sit for at least one hour before slicing. Using a serrated knife, cut evenly into 16 slices.
Goodies Against The Grain https://goodiesagainstthegrain.com/