Triple Threat Shortcake
Hey, there! It’s almost 4th of July. Can you believe it? Time flies so fast! But not too fast, for you definitely still have time to make this shortcake 😉
Nothing screams “summer” more than strawberry shortcake. It is a biscuit topped with fresh summer fruit and fluffy whipped cream. This strawberry shortcake has a few twists, though. I had so much fresh fruit in my fridge that it simply killed me to only put strawberries on the shortcake. That is why this shortcake is topped with strawberries, blueberries AND cherries! Triple Threat. The greatest part is that you can substitute any of those berries for another kind.
This shortcake is free of dairy, so my favorite ingredient saves the day… Coconut! Coconut whipped cream takes the place of regular whipped cream, and coconut oil replaces butter in the biscuits. And speaking of biscuits: You guys, these biscuits are amazing!!! They taste just like the biscuits we all enjoyed in our gluten-eating days; buttery and crumbly on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Pure shortcake heaven.
I simply know you will all enjoy this shortcake! If you make it, please take a picture, and post in on social media! By tagging me @GoodiesAgainstTheGrain on Instagram or @GoodiesATG on Twitter, I can see your creations.
Have a wonderful 4th of July, folks!
Triple Threat Shortcake
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp maple sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
- 5 Tbs cold coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs almond milk
- The fat/cream of 2 13.5 oz cans coconut milk (the solid white substance at the top of the can)
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 cups chopped berries of choice! (I used a mix of cherries, strawberries and blueberries)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in the coconut oil with a fork, until it forms small clumps.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and apple cider vinegar. Using your hands, mix the egg mixture into the coconut oil-flour mixture. Kneed until the dough is mixed, but it is OK if there are coconut oil clumps!!! That is what makes the biscuits flaky.
- Divide the dough into 6 even portions. Form each portion into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Flatted each one out half way with the palm of your hand.
- Using your fingers, lightly coat the biscuits with the almond milk. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let cool fully on a wire rack.
- To make the whipped cream, place the coconut cream and maple syrup in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form and cream becomes light and fluffy.
- To assemble the shortcakes, place a biscuit on a plate, top with some coconut whipped cream, cover with berries. Repeat with the rest of the biscuits. Enjoy!
Goodies Against The Grain https://goodiesagainstthegrain.com/